This course is triply effective & powerful as a learning & life-changing experience because, apart from the great contents, it combines:
There's a permaculture principle which teaches us to look for ways to 'create more edge', because often the borders between different ecosystems (& in fact any systems, methods, cultures, people..) are the most fertile - or productive - places we can find. And this is a great example of that principle in action.
Additional 'edge' is supplied by the various designs we've perfected to enable & encourage not only students & teachers to interact as much as possible for mutual benefit, but also all of the various projects to work together, united by this programme.
All of these 'edges' add much value to this course.
We can offer the lowest costs with highest standards of teaching and networking opportunities for courses of this type because of the synergies that are made possible by working in such an innovative, collaborative network, with all the core learning materials online.
In general the theory classes + 2 month additional online design support after the course (in order to help you implement what you have learned in your real-life projects) is only 241€
This is the basic price for all students and there will be an online component to whichever version of the iPDC course you take, as we have found that this is the best way to:
1) develop long-term relationships with many permaculture colleagues that we all need in order to do our best project work out there in the world
2) create easily communication & relationships with your tutor & mentors, in order to help you really embody & be able to apply the teachings from the course (which many people find very challenging to apply, as permaculture turns a lot of our habitual thinking upside-down)
3) it helps to create the important habit of documenting your work as you go along, which encourages deeper reflection & enables us all to share a rich diversity of designs with a wider group of colleagues, so that we can all improve our practice a lot faster, with the increased opportunities for cross-fertilization & feedback.
Because of our committment to inclusion and to creating eco-economies (which includes withdrawing our subsidies to multi-nationals - like those of transport - and re-directing them towards permaculture projects), since 2009 the Academy has been focusing on delivering online permaculture courses.
These have been so successful (see Testimonials) that we will keep offering those in the usual, totally asinchronic way (you do the classes & your designs in any time frame that makes sense for you) that has been so useful for many of us.
But since another more strictly time-tabled option is now possible
- to run parallel to the residential Networked iPDCs -
we encourage people who
to take the online iPDC option.
That means you can study the whole course at home, but you will take the same classes at the same time as the residential groups, and then meet them & the tutors during the evenings online meetings to share impressions, experiences, questions... whilst getting to know each other.
You can choose the 15 day intensive or 8 weekends option, as with the residential courses. And of course you can opt into the asynchronic (do it in my own time) option whenever you wish.
The additional residential costs for those who wish to do the course in one of the locations in the network are different for each hosting project (their own independent local pricings), and they range from:
To find out the residential costs for each node in the network, as well as the dates that courses are running there, check the individual Projects' pages (there are contact details next to the picture of the Facilitator, in each Project page).
You are taking part in a global re-economy project whenever you pay for any PDC, as most of the money you are investing directly in your education and training is going to support a permaculture project, or several. You are literally helping to fund the future by taking any PDC, so: thank you!
But please also consider that if you end up spending much more in paying for the travel costs to get there, you are financing the multinationals more than the permaculture project - and that doesn't make much permaculture sense.
Ethics are central to permaculture.
And you don't need to take a course to practice them.
So as a general guideline, we'd like you to consider:
The Free MiniCourses we offer are an excellent way not only to prepare for the iPDC, but also to start earning 'Permis', our internal currency.
Earning 10Permis (or more) for each mini-course you complete means you can get 10€ off the cost of your iPDC (more if you complete more mini-courses).
This is explained here on the Free MiniCourses page.
This international cooperative effort so far has been achieved in great part by a creative use of this internal complementary currency that the Integral Permaculture Academy team have been using over the last 10 years. It is called "Permis" both because we are Permis and because they give us permission (financial liquidity) to do so much more with our work!
One Permi is equivalent to 1€.
Most of our students don't in fact pay the full costs for the courses in money because they can't afford to & in exchange have been helping the Academy to bring the best of permaculture design science and support to more people. We love to pay for this work in Permis.
And all new students are welcome to do the same, accumulating discounts over time for their future study and mentoring, by taking on 'jobs' that we offer for Permis.
Permis have proven to be a very effective and fun way of turning the energies of more privileged people (those who can afford the time & money to do our courses) to creating more resources for the less privileged, and also to make our action-learning community & networks more accessible to more people.
For example, the many hundreds of hours of work that have resulted in:
1) creating the new curriculum supported by a wealth of multi-media resources centred on 50+ Integral Permaculture classes, all of which are being constantly improved through debate & discussion of both contents and formats
2) a rich, easy to use online design portfolio-based environment - 6 years in the making, & also constantly co-designed with our students - ideal for supporting both the creation of relationships amongst people & permaculture design action-learning & action-research
3) the online Integral Permaculture Designers' Manual,
4) the Free Integral PermaCulture MiniCourses,
5) & numerous free online conferences to date
6) as well as a variety of other innovative experiments to develop more collective intelligence in our networks (not all of them work! But we learn lots that we apply to other projects)
These have all been resourced by lots of generous voluntary work as well as Permis, which our students and collaborators have earned and then exchanged for course discounts for their own (or their friends') ongoing learning.
We will keep using this internal currency to expand and improve the network in the service of all Life, and from July 2014 we made it possible even for non-paying students to start earning Permis - by completing any of the Free MiniCourses for example, which are also a great preparation for taking a PDC. All very multi-functional (another good permaculture principle).